Bahrain: Bahrain May Appoint Jewish Woman As Envoy To U.S.
The current ambassador to the U.S., Dr. Naser M. Y. Al Belooshi, was appointed in August 2005.
Bahrain is a member of the Gulf Cooperative Council, which also includes Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Houda has served for more than 10 years as a lawmaker. She belongs to a Jewish family which is actively engaged and well integrated in business and financial activities in the kingdom.
In 2000, her relative Ibrahim Nonoo served as a member of the Shura Council, which presently includes a Christian and 10 women appointed by King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
About 40 Jews live in Bahrain. They have a synagogue and a cemetery in the capital Manama.
By: Sandeep Singh Grewal
26 April 2008
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION - WOMEN RISK FLOGGING FOR ‘INDECENT’ CLOTHING
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt