Bahrain: Bahrain May Appoint Jewish Woman As Envoy To U.S.
The current ambassador to the U.S., Dr. Naser M. Y. Al Belooshi, was appointed in August 2005.
Bahrain is a member of the Gulf Cooperative Council, which also includes Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Houda has served for more than 10 years as a lawmaker. She belongs to a Jewish family which is actively engaged and well integrated in business and financial activities in the kingdom.
In 2000, her relative Ibrahim Nonoo served as a member of the Shura Council, which presently includes a Christian and 10 women appointed by King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
About 40 Jews live in Bahrain. They have a synagogue and a cemetery in the capital Manama.
By: Sandeep Singh Grewal
26 April 2008
- India: Divorce dictates dire conditions for Muslim women
- Day 5/16 of Activism Against Gender Violence: In Honor Of Our Sisters- Bahrain WHRD
- Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia criticised over text alerts tracking women's movements.
- Iran: Visits Withheld From Female Evin Prisoners.
- Myanmar: Myanmar's Rohingya Crisis.