Bahrain: Bahrain May Appoint Jewish Woman As Envoy To U.S.
The current ambassador to the U.S., Dr. Naser M. Y. Al Belooshi, was appointed in August 2005.
Bahrain is a member of the Gulf Cooperative Council, which also includes Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Houda has served for more than 10 years as a lawmaker. She belongs to a Jewish family which is actively engaged and well integrated in business and financial activities in the kingdom.
In 2000, her relative Ibrahim Nonoo served as a member of the Shura Council, which presently includes a Christian and 10 women appointed by King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
About 40 Jews live in Bahrain. They have a synagogue and a cemetery in the capital Manama.
By: Sandeep Singh Grewal
26 April 2008
- A Statement from Homa's Family, in Light of New Details on Her Arrest
- WE MUST PRESSURE IRAN TO RELEASE CANADIAN ACADEMIC HOMA HOODFAR
- Turkish journalist stripped of parental rights over court coverage: lawyer
- URGENT NEWS: SEND YOUR SIGNATURES TO PRESIDENT AL-SISI BY WEDNESDAY THE 29TH OF MARCH
- Meet Leyla Yunus, Azerbaijan