Malaysia: Women told to avoid lipstick and high-heeled shoes to "preserve dignity"
The party's brand of Islam - mocked by Malaysian liberals as "Taliban lite" - has already decreed that supermarkets must have separate checkout lines for men and women. Couples caught sitting too close together on park benches are hunted down by the city's moral enforcers and fined up to £285 in the city's sharia courts.
A directive on dress a decade ago decreed that Muslim women must wear non-transparent headscarves that cover the chest, along with loose-fitting, long-sleeved blouses. There are fines of up to £75 and as many as 20 women are punished for breaking the rule every month.
Azman Mohamad Daham, a spokesman for the municipality, said: "Our minimum guideline is they must wear headscarves." The goal of the modesty drive was to prevent rape and safeguard the women's dignity, he said.
By: Ian MacKinnon,
25 June 2008
Source: The Guardian
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting