Mauritania: Women's group condemns the coup d'état
Demands a return to constitutional legality and the reinstatement of the democratically-elected president and his government;
Calls on all human rights institutions, activists and personalities to resolutely reject this coup d'état and to defend Mauritania's democratic constitutional order; and
Appeals to international institutions, notably the European Union, to use their influence to re-establish constitutionalism in Mauritania.
L'Association des Femmes Chefs de Famille (AFCF) is a non-governmental organization whose mission is to promote human rights and defend the rights of women and children. AFCF promotes the legal, social, and economic empowerment of women, especially those in rural locations. The organization advocates for the improvement of the 2001 Personal Status Law and strives to ensure that protections under the current law are accessible to women in Mauritania. AFCF supports the participation of female heads of households in action for social change through training activities and provides services to women in crisis situations. Since 2005 WLP and AFCF have been working together to expand skills-building and leadership training to enhance women's participation in decision-making in the family, community, and in politics.
7 August 2008
- Missing female Sudanese rights activist found beaten in street
- Egypt: Women's rights activist among 17 facing spurious charges in security forces' 'cover up'
- Bahrain: Authorities continue to target women’s rights defender Ghada Jamsheer
- Egypt: Press Release by the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders on the Appeal Verdict in the Case of Yara Sallam and Sanaa Seif
- Prominent Women Human Rights Defender Esraa Abdel-Fattah Banned From Traveling Outside Egypt
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!