International: English narration of the complete Quran by an American woman
While previous English translations of the Quran have been presented in a verse-by-verse format which fails to retain the reader’s attention, her narration follows the open flow of the Arabic recitation, without verse or paragraph restrictions. Dr. Bakhtiar recently received an email which emphasized how this change in format can transform the experience of a sacred text and invite one to both read and listen:
Encountering your translation represented a real personal breakthrough for me regarding Islam, or at least Islam as approached through English translation of the Quran. The internal consistency and your attempted avoiding of subjective interpretation worked for me, and as I read more and more, what normally strikes the English only reader as disjointed and theologically fragmented in the Quran gave way to a kind of majesty, a kind of excitement (and unique sadness) I'd never encountered before in any other book. I felt that at last I'd gotten a glimpse of what the Quran means, or at least what it could mean, on a very personal psychological level…Finally, as I was reading to my eight year old at bedtime from your translation, she did something she'd never done before. She stopped me and took the book from my hands so she too could read aloud... There is real power to this translation... Thank you for this book.
Dr. Bakhtiar’s narration can be purchased on www.kazi.org Reaching out to the iTunes generation of American Muslims, she has made each 37-42 minute track available for $0.99.
Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar,
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity
- Women's Sport as Politics in Muslim Contexts
- Women's Organisations in the West Asia Region: A Needs Assessment
- THE DUE DILIGENCE PRINCIPLE AND THE ROLE OF THE STATE: DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN IN FAMILY AND CULTURAL LIFE
- Compilation Of Inputs From Women’s Rights Advocates On The Occasion Of The 59th Commission On The Status Of Women
- WLUML Gazette, 15th Edition - January 2015