International: English narration of the complete Quran by an American woman
While previous English translations of the Quran have been presented in a verse-by-verse format which fails to retain the reader’s attention, her narration follows the open flow of the Arabic recitation, without verse or paragraph restrictions. Dr. Bakhtiar recently received an email which emphasized how this change in format can transform the experience of a sacred text and invite one to both read and listen:
Encountering your translation represented a real personal breakthrough for me regarding Islam, or at least Islam as approached through English translation of the Quran. The internal consistency and your attempted avoiding of subjective interpretation worked for me, and as I read more and more, what normally strikes the English only reader as disjointed and theologically fragmented in the Quran gave way to a kind of majesty, a kind of excitement (and unique sadness) I'd never encountered before in any other book. I felt that at last I'd gotten a glimpse of what the Quran means, or at least what it could mean, on a very personal psychological level…Finally, as I was reading to my eight year old at bedtime from your translation, she did something she'd never done before. She stopped me and took the book from my hands so she too could read aloud... There is real power to this translation... Thank you for this book.
Dr. Bakhtiar’s narration can be purchased on www.kazi.org Reaching out to the iTunes generation of American Muslims, she has made each 37-42 minute track available for $0.99.
Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar,
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity
- Iran: WLUML Supports Call for Solidarity: Freedom and Gender Equality in Iran
- Austerity Measures in Developing Countries: Public Expenditure Trends and the Risks to Women and Children
- Gender-Sensitive Media: A Voluntary Code of Ethics
- Solutions to End Child Marriage: Summary of the Evidence
- The Global Gender Gap Report 2013
- Women's Rights and Transitions to Democracy: An Annotated Bibliography