ex-Yugoslavia: Joint effort to see Karadzic charged with sexual crimes
“This case is of historic significance for women in Bosnia, the former Yugoslavia and victims of sexual violence crimes in conflict situations around the world who deserve justice and reparation. Karadzic must be held accountable. His indictment and the possible ruling on such crimes would set an important precedent,” said Isabelle Solon-Helal, Programme Officer at Rights & Democracy and Coordinator of the international Coalition.
Funded and coordinated by Rights & Democracy, the Coalition for Women's Rights in Conflict Situations was established in 1996 to address the abuse of women's rights in conflict situations, to condemn the practice of rape and other forms of sexual violence against women as deliberate tactics of war, and to ensure, where appropriate, that these practices are prosecuted as war crimes, crimes against humanity and crimes of genocide. Details on the Coalition for Women's Rights in Conflict Situations can befound at www.womensrightscoalition.org
3 September 2008
Rights & Democracy is a non-partisan, independent Canadian institution created by an Act of Parliament in 1988 to promote democratic development and to advocate for and defend human rights set out in the International Bill of Human Rights.
To arrange for media interviews, please contact Steve Smith (ext 255) or Louis Moubarak (ext 261) at Rights & Democracy, +1 514-283-6073.
- Sudan: Stop Planting Mines in the Nuba Mountains!
- UPDATE: Madagascar: New president suspends parliament
- UPDATE: Myanmar: Joint NGO statement supporting Human Rights Defenders in Burma
- UPDATE: Afghanistan: Don’t allow warlords to silence Malalai Joya
- UPDATE: Turkey: Muyeser Gunes and members of Mothers for Peace are free
- Women Building Peace
- Dossier 28: An Islamic experience of religious pluralism in post-apartheid South Africa
- Dossier 25: The Role of the International Community in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- Occasional Paper 14: Women's Teach-In - Antimilitarism, Fundamentalisms/Secularism and Civil Liberties & Anti-Terrorism Legislation after September 11th 2001
- Occasional Paper 13: Women's Peacecast V - In Search of Justice, Human Rights and a Just Peace