Bahrain: 'Indecent outfits' lead to cancellation of women's match
An ominous dressing down from Islamists MPs concerned about "indecent outfits" has forced organisers of an international volleyball tournament to cancel a women's exhibition match.
Bahrain is currently hosting the penultimate stage of the Swatch-Federation Internationale de Volley Ball (FIVB) Beach Volley World Tour in which 24 teams are vying for the top honours.
An exhibition match between two women's teams was scheduled for Saturday, but mounting pressure from lawmakers, led by MP for the Islamic Menbar Mohammad Khalid and independent Salafi MP Jassem Al Saeedi, has led to its cancellation.
30 October 2008
By: Habib Toumi
Source: Gulf News
Submitted on Fri, 10/31/2008 - 01:00
- A Statement from Homa's Family, in Light of New Details on Her Arrest
- WE MUST PRESSURE IRAN TO RELEASE CANADIAN ACADEMIC HOMA HOODFAR
- Turkish journalist stripped of parental rights over court coverage: lawyer
- URGENT NEWS: SEND YOUR SIGNATURES TO PRESIDENT AL-SISI BY WEDNESDAY THE 29TH OF MARCH
- Meet Leyla Yunus, Azerbaijan