Kuwait: Women seek judicial empowerment
Women should be entitled to the right to share in formulating and devising public policies so that they can become active in decision-making in all legislative and executive agencies. A culture of change and awareness is needed, legal illiteracy should be obliterated, and a cultural and knowledge-sharing atmosphere must be created to support women, the conferees said.
The conferees also called for setting up a shelter for female victims of domestic violence. Kuwait University Literature and Criticism Professor Dr. Seham Al-Fraih asserted that comprehensive development cannot be achieved unless women are involved in the process.
She called for setting up legal frameworks for protecting and safeguarding women's and children's rights and for establishing rehabilitation centers for women and children who are victims of violence. The professor made the call during the final session of the conference, which touched upon political Islam and violence against women. -
30 October 2008
Source: Kuwait Times
- Egypt: Postpone the 15 December referendum on the draft Constitution!
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws Statement on Libya
- Saudi Arabia: WLUML/VNC Statement: 'We Say "Yes" to Women's Full Enjoyment of their Rights'
- UPDATE: Canada: Canadian polygamist leader arrested
- UPDATE: Nigeria: Local women's groups protest bill on 'indecent clothing'