Egypt: Fatwas say wives may hit back in self-defence
Domestic violence accounts for 35 percent of the deaths among Egyptian women each year.
Saudi Sheikh Abdel Mohsen al-Abyakan says a wife should use the "weapon" her husband uses against her. Turkish Sheikh Fathallah Julun says a woman should return two blows for each received.
29 October 2008
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Saudi Arabia: Release Maysaa Alamoudi and Loujain Alhathloul
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Sudan's Revised Penal Code: A Mixed Picture For Women
- Morocco's Dilemma: Rights and Reform or Closure and Conservatism?
- Reclaiming the Streets for Women’s Dignity: Effective Initiatives in the Struggle against Gender-Based Violence in between Egypt’s Two Revolutions
- The Politics of Mobilising for Gender Justice in Egypt from Mubarak to Morsi and Beyond
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit