Egypt: Fatwas say wives may hit back in self-defence
Domestic violence accounts for 35 percent of the deaths among Egyptian women each year.
Saudi Sheikh Abdel Mohsen al-Abyakan says a wife should use the "weapon" her husband uses against her. Turkish Sheikh Fathallah Julun says a woman should return two blows for each received.
29 October 2008
- Afghanistan: Number of women jailed for fleeing abuse soars!
- Bangladesh Defies Hardliners, Elects First Female Speaker
- Afghanistan: Afghan protest against women's rights legislation
- Egypt: "They want to marry us at nine years old. Are these really the kind of men we want to run our country? Paedophiles?"
- Egypt: Rise in Egypt Sex Assaults Sets Off Clash Over Blame
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws Statement on Libya
- Saudi Arabia: WLUML/VNC Statement: 'We Say "Yes" to Women's Full Enjoyment of their Rights'
- UPDATE: Canada: Canadian polygamist leader arrested
- UPDATE: Nigeria: Local women's groups protest bill on 'indecent clothing'
- Canada: Polygamous communities persist on grounds of 'religious freedom'