Malaysia: Clerics to rule whether yoga is "un-Islamic"
Othman was asked to comment on a statement by Professor Zakaria Stapa of the Faculty of Islamic Studies in Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, who stated that yoga's origins could be traced back to Hinduism.
On Tuesday, Zakaria called on Muslims not to take up yoga and asked those already doing so to stop practising its art of meditation. He said practising yoga could cause Muslims to deviate from the teachings of Islam.
"I do not understand why Muslims would want to practise yoga for the purpose of finding serenity when Islam, through its teachings, enables its followers to do just that.
"Muslims should just practise what Islam has taught them," he said after giving a lecture entitled "False Islamic Teachings in Malaysia".
30 October 2008
By: Melissa Darlyne Chow
Source: New Straits Times
- Afghanistan: Prominent female politician and 'brave voice' Angeza Shinwari dies after car bomb attack
- Nigeria: Why it is hard to know the truth about the Boko Haram crisis
- Nigeria: Victims of Abductions Tell Their Stories
- 'Shariafication by stealth' in the UK
- Kurdish Women Turning Kobani into a Living 'Hell' for Islamic State
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting