Women, Laws, Initiatives in the Muslim World
|PDF Document||317.33 KB|
An action-oriented publication, this booklet examines some of the central themes which are integral to the status of women in Muslim societies: the multiple sources and forms of law; family, patriarchy, and laws; women and the culture of violence; nationalism, identity, and women; political and social dynamics of power. It also details a number of strategies, both successful and less successful, which have been used by women in Muslim societies to meet the challenges they face.
These strategies range from direct personal actions for change to international networking. The booklet draws upon discussions at the International meeting, Towards Beijing: Women, Law and Status in the Muslim World, the largest, and most diverse gathering of women from the Muslim world, organized by the Women Living Under Muslim Laws network in December 1994.
- UK: Law Society Withdraws Sharia Succession Principles Practice Note
- Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi win 2014 Nobel peace prize
- WLUML Board Member Karima Bennoune Wins Dayton Literature Peace Prize
- Sunila Abeysekera Commemoration: Speech by Nimalka Fernando
- New Feminist Leadership Web Portal Offers Online Home to All Generations of Activists
- Saudi Arabia: Release Maysaa Alamoudi and Loujain Alhathloul
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Egypt: Postpone the 15 December referendum on the draft Constitution!
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Feminist Movement Builder's Dictionary
- Influences of Religious Fundamentalism on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Women
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*
- Women's Chaters and Declarations: Building Another World