Malaysia: Human rights defender Irene Fernandez acquitted after 13 years
Ms. Fernandez’ hearing in appeal had been postponed three times between June 11, 2008 and November 24, 2008 due to the disappearance of important files, computer viruses and delays in compiling trial records.
The Observatory recalls that Ms. Irene Fernandez had been arrested and charged in March 1996 for “publishing false information with the intention to harm” under Section 8A (1) of the Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984, following the publication in July 1995 of a report entitled Abuse, Torture and Dehumanised Conditions of Migrant Workers in Detention Centres. This report contained allegations of abuses inflicted upon migrants based on Ms. Fernandez’ interviews with over 300 migrant workers. Sentenced to twelve months’ imprisonment by the Kuala Lumpur Magistrates’ Court 5B on October 16, 2003, she was released on bail and lodged an appeal. Since that date, Ms. Irene Fernandez had been waiting for the examination of the appeal .
The Observatory welcomes Ms. Irene Fernandez’ acquittal, and thanks all the persons, institutions and organisations who intervened in her favour.
Nevertheless, the Observatory calls upon the Malaysian authorities to guarantee in all circumstances the physical and psychological integrity of human rights defenders in the country, to put an end to any act of harassment against them, and to conform with the provisions of the United Nations Declaration on Human Rights Defenders, adopted by the UN General Assembly on December 9, 1998, as well as to ensure in all circumstances the respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms in accordance with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and with international and regional human rights instruments ratified by Malaysia.
For further information, please contact:
• OMCT: Delphine Reculeau, + 41 22 809 52 42
• FIDH: Karine Appy / Gael Grilhot, + 33 1 43 55 25 18
- LHC upholds blasphemy convict Asia Bibi's death penalty
- Update: Bahrain – Trial date scheduled for human rights defender Ms Maryam Al-Khawaja
- Iran detains UK citizen over ban on women watching sports alongside men
- SUDAN CHRISTIAN WOMAN MERIAM IBRAHIM & FAMILY ARRIVE IN ITALY & MEET WITH POPE FRANCIS
- Letter to Obama Administration on Egyptian State Violations of Human Rights
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders