International: Conference: Security Without Empire: National Organizing Conference on Foreign Military Bases
The goals of the conference are to:
* Share information about U.S. foreign military bases and resistance;
* Develop new strategies and expand the U.S. anti-bases movement;
* Integrate anti-bases organizing into a more coherent movement;
* Raise the visibility of the U.S. and international anti-bases movements;
* Apply pressure on Congress;
* Close and reduce the number of foreign bases.
Invited speakers include
Walden Bello - Philippines
Jana Glivicka - Czech Republic
Raed Jarrar - Iraq
Wafula Okumi - South Africa
Suzuyo Takazato - Okinawa
Wilbert van der Zeijden - Netherlands
Cynthia Enloe (Clark University)
Bruce Gagnon (Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space)
John Lindsay-Poland (Fellowship of Reconciliation, Latin America Project)
Zia Mian (Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University)
Ann Wright (Retired Army Reserve Colonel and Diplomat)
For more information or to register, contact:
National Project on U.S. Military Bases consists of organizers from American Friends Service Committee, American University Department of Anthropology, Code Pink, Fellowship of Reconciliation, Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space, Granny Peace Brigade/No Bases, Institute for Policy Studies, International Women's Network Against Militarism, Southwest Workers Union, United for Peace & Justice, U.S. Peace Council, Pacific School of Religion/Institute for Leadership Development and Study of Pacific and Asian North American Religion, Veterans For Peace.
American University, Washington, DC
Feb. 27-Mar. 2, 2009
Friday Feb 27: Opening Vigil and Ceremony at the Pentagon
Monday, March 2, lobby day on Capitol Hill
- Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi win 2014 Nobel peace prize
- WLUML Board Member Karima Bennoune Wins Dayton Literature Peace Prize
- Sunila Abeysekera Commemoration: Speech by Nimalka Fernando
- New Feminist Leadership Web Portal Offers Online Home to All Generations of Activists
- WLUML Launches Bumper-Size Dossier on Sexualities in Muslim Contexts
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Sudan: Stop Planting Mines in the Nuba Mountains!
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- Influences of Religious Fundamentalism on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Women
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- SOCIAL MEDIA COMBINED WITH OTHER MEDIA CAN BE EFFECTIVE FOR CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT & PARTICIPATION IN GOVERNANCE ISSUES - WOMEN
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Austerity Measures in Developing Countries: Public Expenditure Trends and the Risks to Women and Children