International: Conference: Security Without Empire: National Organizing Conference on Foreign Military Bases
The goals of the conference are to:
* Share information about U.S. foreign military bases and resistance;
* Develop new strategies and expand the U.S. anti-bases movement;
* Integrate anti-bases organizing into a more coherent movement;
* Raise the visibility of the U.S. and international anti-bases movements;
* Apply pressure on Congress;
* Close and reduce the number of foreign bases.
Invited speakers include
Walden Bello - Philippines
Jana Glivicka - Czech Republic
Raed Jarrar - Iraq
Wafula Okumi - South Africa
Suzuyo Takazato - Okinawa
Wilbert van der Zeijden - Netherlands
Cynthia Enloe (Clark University)
Bruce Gagnon (Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space)
John Lindsay-Poland (Fellowship of Reconciliation, Latin America Project)
Zia Mian (Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University)
Ann Wright (Retired Army Reserve Colonel and Diplomat)
For more information or to register, contact:
National Project on U.S. Military Bases consists of organizers from American Friends Service Committee, American University Department of Anthropology, Code Pink, Fellowship of Reconciliation, Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space, Granny Peace Brigade/No Bases, Institute for Policy Studies, International Women's Network Against Militarism, Southwest Workers Union, United for Peace & Justice, U.S. Peace Council, Pacific School of Religion/Institute for Leadership Development and Study of Pacific and Asian North American Religion, Veterans For Peace.
American University, Washington, DC
Feb. 27-Mar. 2, 2009
Friday Feb 27: Opening Vigil and Ceremony at the Pentagon
Monday, March 2, lobby day on Capitol Hill
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Sudan: Stop Planting Mines in the Nuba Mountains!
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity