Europe: European Parliament Declaration on Violence against Women
The written declaration calls on Member states to support the UNIFEM campaign and asks the Commission to declare a 'European Year on Zero Tolerance of Violence against Women' within the next five years (Declaration attached).
In order to be effective, the Written Declaration has to be signed by half of the MEPs, which means a minimum of 393. Only 203 MEP’s have signed the written declaration so far!
We need your support to make more MEPs sign before the deadline of 12th March 2009!
The European Parliament,
– having regard to the UN Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women of 20 December 1993 and the resolution on the elimination of domestic violence against women, adopted by the UN General Assembly on 22 December 2003, which recognise the urgent need for elimination of violence against women,
– having regard to its resolutions of 16 September 1997 for an EU-wide campaign for zero tolerance of violence against women and of 2 February 2006 on the current situation in combating violence against women and any future action,
– having regard to the UNIFEM campaign 'Say NO to Violence against Women', which highlights the need for action and protection of women against violence,
– having regard to Rule 116 of its Rules of Procedure,
A. whereas violence against women and girls is a universal problem of pandemic proportions,
B. whereas, in its above mentioned resolutions, Parliament stressed the need to establish an EU-wide campaign for zero tolerance of violence against women,
C. whereas the recent Council of Europe campaign 'Stop Domestic Violence against Women' confirms the need for action and protection of women against violence,
1. Asks the Commission to declare, within the next five years, a 'European Year on Zero Tolerance of Violence against Women', as repeatedly requested by Parliament;
2. Calls on the Member States to support the UNIFEM campaign 'Say NO to Violence against Women' by signing its petition;
3. Instructs its President to forward this declaration, together with the names of the signatories, to the Council and the Commission, as well as to UNIFEM.
Eva-Britt SVENSSON email@example.com
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Too Young to Wed
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran