Palestine: Women's rights seriously violated during Gaza conflict
The Committee recalls that international human rights and humanitarian law apply in all circumstances and at all times and to all parties involved and that the right to life should be respected even in the course of hostilities. The Committee notes with deep concern that the human rights of women and children in Gaza, in particular to peace and security, free movement, livelihood and health, have been seriously violated during this military engagement.
Recalling the Preamble to the CEDAW Convention, which reaffirms that "the cause of peace requires the maximum participation of women on equal terms with men in all fields" the Committee urges the parties to the conflict to involve women in accordance with Resolution 1325 of the Security Council in the decision-making process on the promotion and maintenance of peace and security at all levels.
It further calls on all State parties to support international efforts to alleviate the humanitarian and economic situation in Gaza and more especially to facilitate the provision and distribution throughout Gaza of humanitarian assistance including food and medical treatment, especially to women and children."
In light of its earlier practice concerning consideration of States parties (Decision 18/III) and communications (Rule 60 of the Committee's Rules of procedure), the Committee decided that the expert from the State party concerned should not take part in the decision-making on the statement.
- 'Islamic' Chair Cover Gets Iranian Activist In Trouble
- Iraq: Women Suffer Under ISIS: For Sunnis, Lives Curtailed; for Yezidis, New Accounts of Brutal Rapes
- The case of Saba Qaiser and the film-maker determined to put an end to 'honour' killings
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences