Great Ancestors: Women Asserting Rights in Muslim Contexts
The essential information and training kit on women's rights activists from the 8th to the 20th century. This publication, jointly produced by Shirkat Gah Women's Resource Centre and WLUML, explodes the myth that struggles for women's rights are alien to societies that embraced Islam and profiles women who defied and changed the contours of women's lives from the 8th to the mid-20th century.
It is a tribute to all who defied, challenged and changed existing structures and norms and, in doing so, opened avenues for other women (and men) to do likewise. Not all the Great Ancestors women are 'famous' but each, in her own way, 'made a difference' to her society and to women's rights and spaces.
The training module and volume of narratives highlight women's assertions:
- For personal rights and bodily integrity;
- In solidarity actions that helped others;
- As scholars, saints and political activists to improve their societies.
The training module provides:
- The training module (text and illustrations);
- Instructions for implementation;
- Guidelines for adaptationl
- Glossary and pronunciation key;
- List of women and interventions (with country and century).
The narratives volume
- Details the lives and struggles of women Great Ancestors in the training module and many more;
- Provides detailed references of sources used.
- Meet the Badass Afghan Politician Who Ran Against Her Husband and Won
- Malawian chief annuls 300 child marriages, sends kids to school
- Afghan President Nominates First Female Judge to Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabia – Women Traveling Alone without Permission of Guardians, Under Study
- War with Isis: Meet the Kurdish women's militia fighting for their families west of the Syrian town of Ras al-Ayn
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- International: Statement of Feminist and Women's Organisations on the very Limited and Concerning Results of the 56th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity
- Sudan's Revised Penal Code: A Mixed Picture For Women
- WLUML Gazette, 14th Edition at the end of 2014
- Influences of Religious Fundamentalism on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Women
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- New UN Report: Child, Early and Forced Marriage