Kyrgyzstan: Human Rights Activist Arrested During Peaceful Gathering
Tolekan Ismailova, Director of WLP Kyrgyzstan/Human Rights Center "Citizens Against Corruption" was among at least four people who were detained in Bishkek on March 18.
The arrests followed a peaceful gathering in commemoration of the anniversary of tragic events that took place in Aksy in March 2002, during which six protesters were shot by security officials.
Fifty people attended an hour long gathering on Tuesday, March 17, carrying red carnations and wearing black armbands in mourning for the Aksy victims. Ms. Ismailova was among a group who reconvened on the morning of March 18 in order to conduct a candlelight vigil, which was surrounded and dispersed by police.
Women's Learning Partnership is deeply concerned about the increased restrictions on the right to assembly in Kyrgyzstan and strongly condemns the wrongful detention of non-violent activists.
Submitted on Thu, 03/19/2009 - 00:00
- Bangladesh: Government plans to relocate camps cause fear and anxiety among Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
- North Africa: Racism, sexism and violence against sub-Saharan African migrant women
- Losing Hope in Iran and Egypt
- Sudan: Police Beat, Arrest Female Students
- Joint Press Release on the Verdict against Sanaa Seif, Yara Sallam and 21 Other Co-accused in Egypt
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- WSF: Two cheers for multiculturalism
- WSF: The rise of fundamentalism and the role of the ‘state’ in the specific political context of Palestine