International: Lancet calls on Pope Benedict XVI to retract comments on use of condoms
“When any influential person, be it a religious or political leader, makes a false scientific statement that could be devastating to the health of millions of people, they should retract or correct the public record,” the medical journal said in an editorial today. “Anything less from Pope Benedict would be an immense disservice to the public and health advocates, including many thousands of Catholics, who work tirelessly to try and prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS worldwide.”
The religious leader, on his maiden voyage as pontiff to Cameroon and Angola, said more widespread use of condoms won’t prevent the spread of AIDS in Africa. AIDS “is a tragedy that cannot be overcome by money alone, that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems,” the 81-year-old told reporters on March 17.
About 1.7 million people, mostly women, in sub-Saharan Africa became infected with the HIV virus in 2007, bringing the total number of infections in the region to 22.5 million, according to the latest report by UNAIDS, the United Nations program that deals with HIV/AIDS. That’s two-thirds of the global number of people living with the virus.
27 March 2009
Source: Bloomberg & The Lancet
- Niger: 'Wahaya': Young girls sold into slavery
- Egypt’s first female genital mutilation trial ends in not guilty verdict
- Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi win 2014 Nobel peace prize
- Iran: Urgent concerns in submission to the 20th session of UPR Working Group
- WLUML Board Member Karima Bennoune Wins Dayton Literature Peace Prize
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Update: Intisar Sharif Abdallah Released Unconditionally without Further Charge
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- WLUML Annual Report 2013
- Feminist Movement Builder's Dictionary
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Unspeakable Crimes Against Children: Sexual Violence in Conflict
- SOCIAL MEDIA COMBINED WITH OTHER MEDIA CAN BE EFFECTIVE FOR CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT & PARTICIPATION IN GOVERNANCE ISSUES - WOMEN