Senegal: Six months' jail for female circumcisers
Since then many villages have signed pledges to ban female circumcision, but the Matam case stirred controversy with local Muslim religious leaders defending female circumcision as part of their tradition.
On Thursday morning, clashes broke out between religious protesters and local police, according to the RFM radio station.
The demonstrators threw rocks at the police who used teargas to break up the protest, the station added.
The circumcision of the girl, from the village of Ourossogui close to Matam, was reported to the police by a Raddho representative. The women who carried out the circumcision and the girl's family were arrested in May and detained.
The ruling marks the first time a court in the Matam region has handed down a convicion for a circumcision, the non-governmental organisation said.
"Raddho wanted to give off a strong signal to show that circumcision is banned," local Raddho spokesman David Diagne said.
"We will continue our awareness campaign in the region to make it known that female circumcision can cause great harm especially in health terms with the risks of infection with the girls," he added.
According to Tostan, another NGO working to eradicate female circumcision said the practice had been "massively abandoned" in Senegal over the last decade.
"Some 3,548 villages have pledged to collectively abandon female circumcision since 1997" in Senegal, a Tostan spokesman told AFP Thursday.
27 May 2009
- 'Islamic' Chair Cover Gets Iranian Activist In Trouble
- Iraq: Women Suffer Under ISIS: For Sunnis, Lives Curtailed; for Yezidis, New Accounts of Brutal Rapes
- The case of Saba Qaiser and the film-maker determined to put an end to 'honour' killings
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences