Senegal: Six months' jail for female circumcisers
Since then many villages have signed pledges to ban female circumcision, but the Matam case stirred controversy with local Muslim religious leaders defending female circumcision as part of their tradition.
On Thursday morning, clashes broke out between religious protesters and local police, according to the RFM radio station.
The demonstrators threw rocks at the police who used teargas to break up the protest, the station added.
The circumcision of the girl, from the village of Ourossogui close to Matam, was reported to the police by a Raddho representative. The women who carried out the circumcision and the girl's family were arrested in May and detained.
The ruling marks the first time a court in the Matam region has handed down a convicion for a circumcision, the non-governmental organisation said.
"Raddho wanted to give off a strong signal to show that circumcision is banned," local Raddho spokesman David Diagne said.
"We will continue our awareness campaign in the region to make it known that female circumcision can cause great harm especially in health terms with the risks of infection with the girls," he added.
According to Tostan, another NGO working to eradicate female circumcision said the practice had been "massively abandoned" in Senegal over the last decade.
"Some 3,548 villages have pledged to collectively abandon female circumcision since 1997" in Senegal, a Tostan spokesman told AFP Thursday.
27 May 2009
- U.S.A: Stabbing of Muslim Woman in East Bay Shopping Center Stirs Up Fears for Community
- Mali: Displaced Malians turn to survival sex
- Pakistan: Harassment of female voters, aid workers shadow historic Pakistan election
- Tunisia: Amina Tyler, Tunisia’s ‘topless jihad’ Activist, Caught and Under Arrest
- Afghanistan: Parliament fails to pass divisive women's law
- Sudan: 32 Nuba Women Behind Bars in the Women’s International Day!
- Sudan: Crackdown on Nuba Women Human Rights Activists!
- A Pakistani born Canadian Victim's Appeal for Help!
- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL URGENT ACTION: Teacher charged and faces death penalty
- Jalila Khamis formally charged and faces EXECUTION!