International: UNDAW/DESA addressing violence against women
* Analyze different approaches in the law for addressing all forms of violence against women, with particular attention to experiences in different legal systems, and the scope of such legislation;
* Assess lessons learned in the implementation of legislation on violence against women, with particular attention to effectiveness of legislation, legislative reforms over time, the reasons for such reforms, and methodologies for evaluating the effectiveness of legislative frameworks;
* Identify good practices in the law and recommended standards for legislation on violence against women, with particular attention to different forms of violence against women.
The expert group meeting will prepare a report that will:
* Present prevailing approaches, in different legal systems, for addressing violence against women, with attention to laws that target different forms and manifestations of violence against women;
* Present lessons learned and good practices in the application of laws, and reasons for the effectiveness of particular legal frameworks for addressing violence against women;
* Develop guidelines and a model framework for legislation on violence against women.
The guidelines and model framework are expected to assist States in enhancing existing, and developing new legislation on violence against women. The outcome of the expert group meeting is also expected to contribute good practices for the Secretary-General’s database on violence against women, which is currently under development in response to resolution 61/143, paragraph 19.
For Background Papers, Expert Papers and Presentations and Supporting Papers please go to the UN website: http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/egm/vaw_legislation_2008/vaw_legislation_2008.htm
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Sudan: Rape as Weapon of War AU/UN Should Increase Investigations, Reporting on Abuses
- Minor convicted in heinous Delhi gang rape to be freed
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION EIGHT GIRLS FREE, ONE OTHER RISKS FLOGGING
- Support KMEWO in demanding Justice for Dunya!
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Iraq: Don’t Legalize Marriage for 9-Year-Olds
- Urgent Action: Free Maryam Shafi’pour!
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Women's Organisations in the West Asia Region: A Needs Assessment
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences