Lebanon: Government Postpones Discussion of Draft Law
Ms. Rouhana called upon all Lebanese women to stand up to “all political forces which had denied so far the women their rights to pass on their nationality to their children and husbands, and their basic human right to be protected from violence and other rights (…) and to boycott parliamentary elections until they are acknowledged as citizens and actual partners in this country”.
According to Rouhana, there is no possible reason that might prevent the bill’s ratification; especially that the bill had passed by all the administrations that had to approve it before it is put on the agenda of the cabinet, and especially also that KAFA had received explicit supporting promises from different ministers and politicians, among whom was the Minister of Justice Ibrahim Najjar. According to a local newspaper (AL-Akhbar) Minister Najjar confirmed his commitment to the Bill, stating that two ministers opposed its ratification during the session, requesting more time to examine it, and that he will ask them to submit their observations and comments in written. As for the possibility to pass the bill before the end of the current Government mandate, Najjar affirmed the absence of any impediment to such a decision, even after the election of a new Parliament next Sunday.
2 June 2009
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Sudan: Rape as Weapon of War AU/UN Should Increase Investigations, Reporting on Abuses
- Minor convicted in heinous Delhi gang rape to be freed
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan