International: Being lesbian, bi, trans woman in the Middle East: survival kit.
Moderator: Patricia Curzi, Women’s Project Coordinator, ILGA
Rima Ar, Aswat, Palestinian Gay Women (Palestine/Israel)
She has been an active member in Aswat’s group for the past 4 years, and was elected a board member in the past year. Today, she takes the lead in monitoring and evaluating Aswat’s organizational management. Being an amateur photographer, she portrays her angle of Palestinian LGBT women, and recently, a collection of her work was displayed in the national feminist conference.
Rima Ab, Aswat, Palestinian Gay Women (Palestine/Israel)
She has been a feminist activist for the past 6 years. She joined Aswat’s staff 3 years as Information and Publication coordinator, bringing her unique outlook in documenting women stories and experiences in the Palestinian LBT world in Arabic. Rima views her job through Aswat’s publication to outreach to the Palestinian community in LBT issues, and empowering Palestinian LBT women. In addition, Rima administers Aswat’s website and virtual forums.
Stéphanie, MEEM (Lebanon)
Stéphanie has been in MEEM for more than 2 years as an Outreach and membership coordinator. Before that she has been an activist “on her own” fighting for women’s rights, LGBT rights and human rights.
Dr. Iman Al Ghafari, Tishreen University (Syria)
She is an academic researcher and an assistant professor. She received my Ph.D. in 1999 from Cairo University with first class honors. The title of my Ph.D. is "The Quest for Identity in the Poetry of Sylvia Plath: A Feminist Approach". I have many writings and publications in the field of gender issues and lesbian studies in the Arab culture. As a researcher in SEPHIS program, I'm currently finalizing my research on "The Lesbian Existence in the Arab Cultures: Sociological and Historical Perspectives".
Read the full reports here: http://www.ilga.org/print.asp?LanguageID=1&FileCategory=1&FileID=1279&ZoneID=3&
14 August 2009
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- WLUML Stands With Nigerian LGBT People, And All Persecuted For Their Sexuality Worldwide
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Dossier 32-33: Sexualities, Culture and Society in Muslim Contexts
- Unspeakable Crimes Against Children: Sexual Violence in Conflict
- SOCIAL MEDIA COMBINED WITH OTHER MEDIA CAN BE EFFECTIVE FOR CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT & PARTICIPATION IN GOVERNANCE ISSUES - WOMEN
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?