Sri Lanka: Cabinet approves proposal of Reforms to Muslim matrimonial law
The Members of the appointed committee is, Justice Saleem Marsoof, P.C., Judge of the Supreme Court, Justice A.W.A. Salam, Judge of the Court of Appeal, Mr. Suhada Gamalath, Secretary to the Ministry of Justice and Law Reform, Mr. Shibly Azeez, P.C., former Attorney General, Mr. Faisz Muzthapha, P.C., former Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, Professor Sharya Scharenguivel, Excutive Director for Centre for Human Rights Studies., Mr. Mohamed Mackie, District Judge, former Assistant Secretary to the Judicial Service Commission, Mr. S.M.A. Jabbar, former Chairman of the Board of Quazied, Dr. M.A.M. Shukri, Former Director, Jamiah Naleemiah, Ash-Sheik Mohomead Magdoom Ahmad Mubarak, former President Jamiathul Ulama, Ash-Sheik Mohummad brahim Mohummad Rizwe Mufthi, President of Jamiathul Ulama, Deshabandu Mrs. Jezeema Ismail, Member of the National Committee on Women and Human Rights Commission, Mrs. Shermila Rasool, National Project Coordinator, Access to justice Project, UNDP, Mr. Rasmara Abdeen, Attorney at Law, Mrs. Safana Gul Begum, Attorney at Law and Member of the Muslim Women’s Research and Action Forum, Mrs. Fazlet Shahabdeen, Attorney at Law, and Ms. Dilhara Amerasinghe, Additional Secretary and Mr. A.K.D.D. Arandara, Assistant Secretary to the Ministry are to be appointed as joint secretaries to the committee.
Two of the members in the Committee are from the Muslim Women's Research and Action Forum (MWRAF) - Jezima Ismail and Safana Gul Begum
July 17th, 2009
- UN human rights experts urge Kenya to repeal discriminatory sections in Matrimonial Property Act
- Morocco to change rape marriage law
- After advocacy by women's movement, Morocco makes major reform to rape law
- Kashmir: Mass-Rape Survivors Struggle as Kafkaesque Justice Reigns
- Sri Lanka: Coercive Population Control in Kilinochchi
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Egypt: Postpone the 15 December referendum on the draft Constitution!
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws Statement on Libya
- Saudi Arabia: WLUML/VNC Statement: 'We Say "Yes" to Women's Full Enjoyment of their Rights'
- UPDATE: Canada: Canadian polygamist leader arrested
- Family Law in Bahrain
- Justice Through Equality: Building Religious Knowledge for Legal Reform in Muslim Family Laws
- Living with insecurity: Marginalization and sexual violence against women in north and east Sri Lanka
- Afghanistan: Child marriage and domestic violence
- Our Motherland, Our Country: Gender Discrimination in the Middle East and North Africa