UN: HRC appoints Farida Shaheed as Independent Expert in the field of cultural rights
She has written extensively on issues of citizenship and culture, including recent works such as “Citizenship and the nuanced belonging of women” (2007) and Gender, Religion and the Quest for Justice in Pakistan (UNRISD: 2009). Furthermore, she is a founder member of the national women’s lobby, Women’s Action Forum that spearheaded the movement for women's equality during a decade of martial law (1977-88) in Pakistan.
Ms. Shaheed has always worked on the principle that legal consciousness enables people to make informed choices within the existing range of options (including laws, customs and institutions), empowering them to challenge and redefine these. As Director of Research at Shirkat Gah Women’s Resource Centre in Pakistan, she was responsible for the Centre’s Women Law & Status Programme (WLS), which builds the capacity of women at the grassroots for policy advocacy.
The WLUML network stands ready to support Ms. Shaheed in the shaping of this new, and timely mandate on culture and human rights.
Source: WLUML Networkers
- UN should recognise Shingal massacres as genocide & feminicide
- Protection of the Family resolution increases vulnerabilities and exacerbates inequalities
- UN report says Eritrea committed widespread abuses
- South Sudan: UNICEF warns women and children being victimized ‘with frightening regularity’
- Human rights: Paraguay has failed to protect a 10-year old girl child who became pregnant after being raped, say UN experts
- Equality, Development and Peace: 2015 and Beyond
- Call for Action: Include women in the Syrian peace-building process now!
- URGENT ACTION: Call on States to Support UN Resolution on WHRDs
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- International: Statement of Feminist and Women's Organisations on the very Limited and Concerning Results of the 56th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women
- Special Rapporteur on violence against women, mission statement for Sudan
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*
- How to follow up on UN Human Rights Recommendations: A practical guide for civil society
- Pathways to, conditions and consequences of incarceration for women