Belgium: Woman fined $300 for wearing burka
A Belgian Muslim woman was ordered to pay 200 euros ($300) for wearing a burka, a Islamic outfit that covers everything but the eyes, in a public place, the La Capital paper reported on Thursday. The woman was detained while taking her children to an Islamic school in the Etterbeek municipality of the Belgian capital, Brussels. She was initially ordered to pay a 35-euro fine for violating a local ban on covering faces in public places.
When the woman was caught wearing the outfit the second time, she was fined 200 euros, but refused to pay and went to court.
"The rule is the rule, and we must obey it," local mayor Vincent De Wolf said.
The Belgium Muslim community ranges from 400,000 to 600,000 people.
BRUSSELS, December 10 (RIA Novosti)
- Iran: 'Jila Baniyaghoob | Prisoner Of Conscience In Iran'
- Saudi women flood social media with driving videos, pictures
- Saudi Arabia: Women Activists' Sentences Confirmed
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) Nominates Iranian Women’s Group, the Mothers of Khavaran for the United Nations Human Rights Prize
- Sudanese women: you can beat us but you cannot break us
- Walking a Tightrope: Women and Veiling in the United Kingdom
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- WSF: Two cheers for multiculturalism
- WSF: The rise of fundamentalism and the role of the ‘state’ in the specific political context of Palestine
- Imagined citizenship: Women, State and Politics in Pakistan in Urdu