Belgium: Woman fined $300 for wearing burka
A Belgian Muslim woman was ordered to pay 200 euros ($300) for wearing a burka, a Islamic outfit that covers everything but the eyes, in a public place, the La Capital paper reported on Thursday. The woman was detained while taking her children to an Islamic school in the Etterbeek municipality of the Belgian capital, Brussels. She was initially ordered to pay a 35-euro fine for violating a local ban on covering faces in public places.
When the woman was caught wearing the outfit the second time, she was fined 200 euros, but refused to pay and went to court.
"The rule is the rule, and we must obey it," local mayor Vincent De Wolf said.
The Belgium Muslim community ranges from 400,000 to 600,000 people.
BRUSSELS, December 10 (RIA Novosti)
- Press Release by the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders on the Appeal Verdict in the Case of Yara Sallam and Sanaa Seif
- Prominent Women Human Rights Defender Esraa Abdel-Fattah Banned From Traveling Outside Egypt
- Bangladesh: Government plans to relocate camps cause fear and anxiety among Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
- North Africa: Racism, sexism and violence against sub-Saharan African migrant women
- Losing Hope in Iran and Egypt
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders