Belgium: Woman fined $300 for wearing burka
A Belgian Muslim woman was ordered to pay 200 euros ($300) for wearing a burka, a Islamic outfit that covers everything but the eyes, in a public place, the La Capital paper reported on Thursday. The woman was detained while taking her children to an Islamic school in the Etterbeek municipality of the Belgian capital, Brussels. She was initially ordered to pay a 35-euro fine for violating a local ban on covering faces in public places.
When the woman was caught wearing the outfit the second time, she was fined 200 euros, but refused to pay and went to court.
"The rule is the rule, and we must obey it," local mayor Vincent De Wolf said.
The Belgium Muslim community ranges from 400,000 to 600,000 people.
BRUSSELS, December 10 (RIA Novosti)
- Turkish journalist stripped of parental rights over court coverage: lawyer
- URGENT NEWS: SEND YOUR SIGNATURES TO PRESIDENT AL-SISI BY WEDNESDAY THE 29TH OF MARCH
- Meet Leyla Yunus, Azerbaijan
- Update: Activists Yara Sallam, Sanaa Seif released from prison
- Keeping Activist Bahareh Hedayat in Prison is Against the Law Says Legal Expert
- URGENT APPEAL ON BEHALF OF EGYPTIAN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION - WOMEN RISK FLOGGING FOR ‘INDECENT’ CLOTHING
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt