CEDAW - General recommendations
Gender focused NGO's can find significant advocacy opportunities in the processes of the UN CEDAW Committee - Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women. The Committee also makes recommendations on any issue affecting women to which it believes the States parties should devote more attention. For example, at the 1989 session, the Committee discussed the high incidence of violence against women, requesting information on this problem from all countries.
In 1992, the Committee adopted on general recommendation 19, which requires national reports to the Committee to include statistical data on the incidence of violence against women, information on the provision of services for victims, and legislative and other measures taken to protect women against violence in their everyday lives C such as harassment at the workplace, abuse in the family and sexual violence.
As of January 2008, the Committee has made 25 general recommendations. The following general recommendations have been adopted by the Committee:
General recommendation No. 17 -- tenth session, 1991 measurement and quantification of the unremunerated domestic activities of women and their recognition in the GNP
Available in languages: English, French and Spanish
- WLUML Launches Bumper-Size Dossier on Sexualities in Muslim Contexts
- A plea to the new High Commissioner for Human Rights: defend women's rights
- WLUML networkers champion women’s rights the 26th Session of the Human Rights Council
- Due diligence for women's human rights: transgressing conventional lines
- Hirsi Ali: Telling a Critic From an Islamophobe
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Call for Action: Include women in the Syrian peace-building process now!
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- Unspeakable Crimes Against Children: Sexual Violence in Conflict
- SOCIAL MEDIA COMBINED WITH OTHER MEDIA CAN BE EFFECTIVE FOR CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT & PARTICIPATION IN GOVERNANCE ISSUES - WOMEN
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- How to follow up on UN Human Rights Recommendations: A practical guide for civil society
- Austerity Measures in Developing Countries: Public Expenditure Trends and the Risks to Women and Children