Israel: Assault on Human Rights Organisations and Defenders
A number of prominent human rights organisations in Israel, including B'Tselem, The Public Committee against Torture in Israel and The Association for Civil Rights in Israel have published an open letter to the President of Israel, Shimon Peres, Member of the Knesset, Reuven Rivlin, and Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyhau, urging them to condemn the assault and delegitimization of human rights organizations in Israel by by extremist organizations (NGO Monitor, Im Tirtzu and others). Please see the letter attached.
They add, "Meanwhile, the Israeli security authorities have recently acted to curb the organizations on the ground. For example, the ISA [The Israel Securities Authority] summoned demonstrators and human rights defenders for investigation and in some cases warned activists they must "refrain from political activity." Furthermore, military authorities announced that they were stopping responding to requests by the organizations on behalf of the residents of Gaza, including in the cases of patients who need urgent and life-saving medical care. Only after the organizations protested and international parties intervened did the Army retract that statement. The Army has also recently placed severe restrictions on organizations working in the territories to provide medical care, accompany residents to their agricultural work and children to school, and help residents file complaints of violence by security forces are settlers. The entrance of Israeli organizations into Gaza was completely forbidden earlier this year, after the organizations criticized the policy of siege on the Gaza Strip. And if that were not enough, human rights organizations are often described by security forces as extreme, lunatic and provocative elements and even as lawbreakers, in order to justify banishing them from the area while undermining their work."
January 31, 2010
- Update: Bahrain – Trial date scheduled for human rights defender Ms Maryam Al-Khawaja
- Iran detains UK citizen over ban on women watching sports alongside men
- SUDAN CHRISTIAN WOMAN MERIAM IBRAHIM & FAMILY ARRIVE IN ITALY & MEET WITH POPE FRANCIS
- Letter to Obama Administration on Egyptian State Violations of Human Rights
- EIPR shocked by continued detention of 23 defendants including an awarded human rights defender
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- KURDISH WOMAN LOSING SIGHT IN IRANIAN PRISON
- URGENT ACTION NEEDED: INNOCENT SUDANESE MOTHER WILL FACE PUBLIC FLOGGING AND EXECUTION, SIHA CONDEMNS TODAY'S RULING IN HAJ YOUSIF COURT IN KHARTOUM
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- WSF: Two cheers for multiculturalism
- WSF: The rise of fundamentalism and the role of the ‘state’ in the specific political context of Palestine