Iran: Mourning Mothers supporters in solitary confinement at Evin prison
Based on the reports by Human Rights and Democracy Activists in Iran, many supporters of the Mourning Mothers are under medieval and excruciating solitary confinement conditions at ward 209 of Evin prison. Attacks by the Ministry of Intelligence against supporters of the Mourning Mothers began on Sunday February 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm and peaked on February 9th. It is reported that during these attacks at least seven mothers were arrested and taken to solitary confinement in ward 209 of Evin prison. Five Ministry of Intelligence agents participated in the extremely violent and barbaric attacks.
The Ministry of Intelligence agents arrested and took away the mothers in front of the horrified and tearful eyes of their children. The attacks were coordinated and accompanied by plainclothes agents who lived in the same neighborhoods as the mothers.
The names of some of the arrested supporters of the Mourning Mothers are:
1. Goli, 49, married with two children. She was arrested on the evening of Sunday February 7, 2010 at her home.
2. Elham Ahsani, 27, general medical practitioner. She is also an activist working against child labor and helping women with HIV. She was arrested on the night of Monday February 8, 2010 at 10:30 pm. There is no information regarding her whereabouts.
3. Jila Akramzadeh-Makvandi, 49, was arrested on the evening of Monday February 8, 2010 around 11:30pm. She was taken to solitary confinement in ward 209 of Evin prison.
4. Dr. Leila Seifolahi was arrested on the night of Monday February 8,2010 and has been taken to an unknown location.
5. Fatemeh Rastegari, married with two children, was arrested on Monday night. It is said that she was transferred to ward 209 of Evin prison.
6. Mrs. Farzaneh Zinali, 53, married with two children. She was arrested on January 8, 2010 while on her way to a protest by the Mourning Mothers at Laleh Park. She was kidnapped by Ministry of Intelligence agents.
7. Rosa Tamadon, 53, married and has two children.
The families of the supporters of the Mourning Mothers have gone to the Revolutionary Court and Evin prison to find out about the situation, conditions, and whereabouts of their loved ones. The Revolutionary Guards and security agents who are working as employees of the Revolutionary Court and Evin prison, have responded to the families of the Mourning Mother supporters with insulting and threatening language.
Supporters of the Mourning Mothers seek justice for the mothers whose children have been tortured and killed under the authority of Esmail Ahmadi-Moghaddam and Ahmad Reza Radan at Kahrizak prison and by the Basij and plainclothes thugs.
They have also accompanied the Mourning Mothers at the graves of freedom fighters, including on the birthdays of Neda Agha-Soltan and Ashkan Sohrabi. So far the response to their just demands has been met with batons, insults, arrests, solitary confinement, and torture.
In any religion, tradition, and nationality around the world, mothers are always treated with special respect, especially mothers who have sacrificed their children on the path to freedom. But the agents of the ‘Supreme’ Leader did not even respect the mothers’ dignity. Instead, they have been violently beaten and attacked at Laleh Park and other locations. Through shameless cruelty, regime forces attacked their homes, arrest and took them away to solitary confinement in Evin prison`s horrific ward 209.
Following the killings of Iranian citizens on [Ashura] December 27, 2009, religious values were trampled, now “motherly values” have been trampled on with the arrest of the mothers.
Human Rights and Democracy Activists in Iran (HRDAI) condemn the inhumane attacks, arrests, solitary confinement, and torture of the supporters of the Mourning Mothers. HRDAI asks the United Nations Human Rights Commission and Reporters for Women and other international organizations to take immediate actions to end the crimes of the ‘Supreme’ Leader Ali Khamenei against the Iranian people.
Translation by: Tour Irani
- LHC upholds blasphemy convict Asia Bibi's death penalty
- Iran: Urgent concerns in submission to the 20th session of UPR Working Group
- Update: Bahrain – Trial date scheduled for human rights defender Ms Maryam Al-Khawaja
- SUDAN CHRISTIAN WOMAN MERIAM IBRAHIM & FAMILY ARRIVE IN ITALY & MEET WITH POPE FRANCIS
- World Cup ban? Iran's women just don't care
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Early and Forced Marriage in the Islamic Republic of Iran