Malaysia: Harassment of Sisters in Islam for questioning 'Syariah' caning of 3 women
The Selangor Islamic Religious Council (Mais) has lodged police reports against The Star managing editor P. Gunasegaran and Sisters in Islam (SIS) for questioning the syariah whipping against three Muslim women for engaging in illicit sex. Mais secretary Datuk Mohamed Khusrin Munawi said an article written by Gunasegaran had denigrated Islam and the Syariah law.
“A report was also lodged against SIS for issuing a statement along the same line on the issue,” he told reporters after lodging the reports at the Shah Alam Police District Headquarters here today.
Mohamed Khusrin said those who were not well-versed with the Syariah criminal law had no rights and not qualified to question a law governing Muslims.
On an apology issued by The Star yesterday, he said it was not sufficient.
SHAH ALAM, Feb 25
- UN Special Rapporteur in Field of Cultural Rights on the Paris Attacks: “Crime against humanity, crime against culture”
- What ISIS has done to the lives of women
- Malaysia: Women’s groups insist that marital rape be made a crime
- Afghan clerics uneasy as civil rights movement gains momentum
- Aceh Prepares to Enforce Broader Sharia Criminal Code, With Stiffer Penalties
- We Strongly Condemn the Terrorist Attacks Taking Place in the Name of “Islam”
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) condemns the harassment of Sri Lankan activist Sharmila Seyyid
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Position Statement on Apostasy and Blasphemy
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Sudanese WHRDs at The Frontlines: Arry Report on the Situation of WHRDs in Sudan
- Mapping Stoning in Muslim Contexts
- Dossier 30-31: The Struggle for Secularism in Europe and North America