UN: Role of Women in Peace and Security
The United Nations has invited a newly established group of independent experts to advise on ways to better protect women in conflict situations, and to ensure that their voices are heard in peace processes and that they are included in post-conflict reconstruction and governance structures.
The establishment of the group of experts from civil society comes as the landmark Security Council resolution 1325 on the role of women in peace and security marks its tenth anniversary in 2010.
The expert group will advise a UN High-Level Steering Committee set up by Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro, which is tasked with enhancing the UN system’s efforts to implement the resolution.
Resolution 1325, which was adopted by the Council in 2000, stresses the importance of giving women equal participation and full involvement in peace and security matters and the need to increase their role in decision-making.
The steering committee will advise on the organization of a ministerial-level meeting of the Security Council later this year on the issue and provide policy advice on ways to accelerate implementation of the resolution.
The civil society expert group that will be advising it will be co-chaired by former Irish President and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson, and Executive Director of Femmes Africa Solidarité, Bineta Diop.
“Our advisory group is made up of individuals with long experience in addressing conflict situations,” said Ms. Robinson.
“We will be consulting with civil society organizations around the world and looking at a range of possible ways forward, including scaling up resources dedicated to protecting women in times of conflict as well as involving them more in building lasting and just peace.”
Other members of the group are: Salim Ahmed Salim (Tanzania), Elisabeth Rehn (Finland), Lahkdar Brahimi (Algeria), Hina Jilani (Pakistan), Sanam Anderlini (Iran/United Kingdom), Thelma Awori (Liberia/Uganda), Swanee Hunt (United States), Sharon Bhagwan-Rolls (Fiji), Susana Villaran De La Puente (Peru), Nyaradzai Gumbonzvanda (Zimbabwe), Zainab Salbi (Iraq/US) and Donald Steinberg (US).
March 5, 2010
- Raise Your Voice Against the 'Protection of the Family' Resolution
- URGENT ACTION: Call on States to Support UN Resolution on WHRDs
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Iran: WLUML Supports Call for Solidarity: Freedom and Gender Equality in Iran
- Women's Sport as Politics in Muslim Contexts
- Religion, Culture And Tradition: No Excuse For Violence
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Feminist Movement Builder's Dictionary
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*