International: Faith and Politics in the Lives of Women
Religious women make change happen, whether it’s by seeking peace or inciting war. Strong beliefs can inspire social justice or block a woman's access to freedom or equality. Join the International Museum of Women as they explore the relationship between faith and politics in the lives of women around the world.
Discover how the veil can celebrate devotion yet divide worlds. Learn how one woman raised an army in God's name. Listen in as women sing to protest unfair laws in their country. Learn what the future holds for a new generation of Muslim women unburdened by fundamentalism. Listen to our podcast with Hadil El-Khouly on being a devout Muslim and a feminist and read Curator Masum Momaya's introduction to this topic.
|Dialogues from the West Bank >>Three Jerusalem activists wage peace through interfaith dialogue and an unflinching belief that sharing stories across borders can mend divisions from the inside out.|
|Rewriting the Book >>Young women are taking a stand against religious fundamentalisms by sharing personal stories and their dreams for a more equitable world.|
|Spirits in Uganda >>Ugandan Alice Lakwena began a bloody civil war in God's name. Another woman, Betty Bigombe, is fighting to undo her countrywoman's crimes and bring about peace.|
|Singing for Change >>What is the best way to garner support for a woman's cause? Twenty Algerian women created a music video to help end the repressive Family Code.|
|Fascist Women Speak >>In 1930s Spain, religion opened the doors for women's political participation. Fascist women of the Sección Femenina de la Falange Española were devoted to Catholicism and, above all, social justice.|
|A Curtain between Worlds >>The meaning of the hijab, or veil, is debated around the world. Lebanese-born artist Georgina Choueiri explores the issue from the inside out and the outside in.|
|Muslim Women Engage in Politics >>Community Voice: Rania Matar, Lebanon
Don't let the veils fool you. Women are entering Lebanese politics in increasing numbers. This exclusive photo essay looks closely at the faces of women practicing politics.
|Serving the Whole >>Community Voice: Global Oneness Project, United States
For many women, spirituality is the first step toward social change. These short videos profile three remarkable activists who are motivated and guided by their unwavering faith.
|Peace Begins with Me and You >>Community Voice: Megumi Nishikura, Japan
In this animated documentary short, Japanese-American peace activist Megumi Nishikura chronicles her spiritual journey through Buddhism and Hinduism.
|Neither Whores, nor Saints >>Community Voice: Women in Black, Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro
As a form of protest against the Serbian Orthodox Church, members of Women in Black staged a dance performance and stripped off their clothes on the main city square.
- Afghan President Nominates First Female Judge to Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabia – Women Traveling Alone without Permission of Guardians, Under Study
- War with Isis: Meet the Kurdish women's militia fighting for their families west of the Syrian town of Ras al-Ayn
- Forbidden from riding bikes, fearless Afghan girls are skateboarding around Kabul
- Swat Woman Of Courage Gets Sisters' Council To Speak Up
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Oman: End the Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- Update: Intisar Sharif Abdallah Released Unconditionally without Further Charge
- THE DUE DILIGENCE PRINCIPLE AND THE ROLE OF THE STATE: DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN IN FAMILY AND CULTURAL LIFE
- Compilation Of Inputs From Women’s Rights Advocates On The Occasion Of The 59th Commission On The Status Of Women
- WLUML Gazette, 15th Edition - January 2015
- WLUML Gazette, 14th Edition at the end of 2014