First Annual Report of the Independent Expert in the field of Cultural Rights
In this first report to the Human Rights Council, the independent expert in the field of cultural rights, Farida Shaheed, develops preliminary views on the conceptual and legal framework of her mandate.
Focusing on the challenges regarding the scope and content of cultural rights, she reviews the relevant existing provisions in United Nations human rights instruments, and develops her initial thoughts on the interaction among the principle of universality of human rights, the recognition and implementation of cultural rights and the need to respect cultural diversity (chap. II). Aware that many other United Nations mechanisms have received mandates which relate to cultural rights, the independent expert has committed to coordinating with other mechanisms (chap. III). The independent expert has also selected a list of priority issues she proposes to address. These issues relate to two main topics: (a) cultural rights, globalization of exchanges and of information, and development processes; and (b) participation, access and contribution to cultural life, without any discrimination (chap. IV).
To download the report in multiple languages, click here.
To download the video of Ms. Shaheed's concluding remarks to the UN Human Rights Council, click here
- Protesters demand male brothels for women in Turkey
- Death of renowned Islamic scholar, Asghar Ali Engineer.
- Pakistan's once-ridiculed transgender community fight elections for first time
- Senegal: WELDD West Africa Feminist Leadership Workshop
- Kuwait: Female Arab scientists urge defence of women's rights
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity
- Iran: WLUML Supports Call for Solidarity: Freedom and Gender Equality in Iran
- Gender-Sensitive Indicators for Media: Indicators to Gauge Gender Sensitivity in Media Operations and Content
- Across the World: A Girl’s Right to Learn Without Fear
- Learning from Women to Create Gender Inclusive Cities
- Victories over Violence: Ensuring Safety for Women and Girls
- Mapping Stoning in Muslim Contexts