Pakistan: 'Honour killing' suspected in murder of British couple
A British couple have been murdered in Pakistan in a suspected "honour killing" after calling off their daughter's marriage. A man and his wife from the Alum Rock area of Birmingham, named locally as taxi driver Gul Wazir and wife Bagum, had reportedly visited the country to resolve a dispute over a wedding.
West Midlands police confirmed the deaths. A spokeswoman said: "We have been informed of the murder of two people from Birmingham in Pakistan. The murder inquiry is being carried out by the authorities in Pakistan and we will support their investigation as and when required."
The couple have already been buried and the Foreign Office said it was providing consular assistance to their family.
Khalid Mahmood, Labour MP for Birmingham Perry Barr, said he was appalled to hear of the couple's murder and warned British-Pakistanis to be cautious if they adhered to customs like arranged weddings.
"It's terrible in this day and age that a couple should be killed in this way," he said. "But it's important for people here to recognise that they can't arrange marriages in Pakistan against the wishes of their children.
"If the child backs out it and the parents have promised them in marriage, it's going to cause problems."
He added: "I can understand if people want to keep their ties with Pakistan but they have to understand that they have to have their children's consent, otherwise this is where it ends up."
- Iraq: Women Suffer Under ISIS: For Sunnis, Lives Curtailed; for Yezidis, New Accounts of Brutal Rapes
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Sudan: Rape as Weapon of War AU/UN Should Increase Investigations, Reporting on Abuses
- Minor convicted in heinous Delhi gang rape to be freed
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences