Burkina Faso: NGO Report on Discrimination against older women
Parallel report submitted to the 47th session of the Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in relation to Burkina Faso’s Sixth periodic report of States parties, CEDAW/C/BFA/6,October 2009.
We recommend that the CEDAW Committee:
Article 5: Measures to combat social and cultural behaviour conducive to discrimination against women
- Urge the Government to allocate increased resources to the Ministry of Social Action and National Solidarity (MASSN) to promote understanding and awareness of the underlying causes of witchcraft accusations and to provide support to effectively resolve individual cases of witchcraft accusations.
- Urge the Government to investigate, prosecute and punish acts of violence towards older women and other offences, including accusations of witchcraft, committed as a result of traditional beliefs in witchcraft under appropriate criminal laws, for example, murder, assault, damage to property, incitement and libel.
- Urge the Government to train law enforcement officials and the judiciary in dealing with alleged crimes related to witchcraft accusations.
- Urge the Government to provide free legal advice to older women affected by accusations of witchcraft so that they may seek redress through the legal system.
Please see full report attached:
- Soudan du Sud : des milliers de femmes réduites en esclavage et violées par des soldats
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- India arrest 16 for beheading woman for 'witchcraft'
- Domestic violence in Turkey reaches boiling point
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region: