Saudi Arabia: Couple hammered 24 nails into Sri Lankan maid
A Saudi couple tortured their Sri Lankan maid by hammering 24 nails into her hands, legs and forehead, after she complained of a too heavy workload, officials said today. Nearly 2 million Sri Lankans sought employment overseas last year and around 1.4 million, mostly maids, were employed in the Middle East. Many have complained of physical abuse or harassment. LT Ariyawathi, a 49-year old mother of three, returned home on Friday after five months in Saudi Arabia.
Her family only realised what had happened to her when she complained of pain and they took her to see the doctor, Foreign Employment Bureau officials said.
"The landlord and the wife of the landlord hammered 24 nails into her when she complained of the heavy workload," Kalyana Priya Ramanayake, media secretary of the Foreign Employment Bureau, said.
Ariyawathi has been taken to hospital for surgery to remove the nails, which according to the maid were hammered in when they were hot.
X-rays showed one- to two-inch nails in her hands and legs, with one over her eyes, officials said.
The Foreign Employment Bureau is consulting the attorney-general while the Sri Lankan External Affairs Ministry is to take the matter up with the Saudi government, officials said.
- guardian.co.uk, Thursday 26 August 2010 10.59 BST
- Afghanistan: Reject stoning, flogging, amputation and other Taliban-era punishments
- Public stoning consideration is latest setback for Afghan women's rights
- "160 Girls": Making legal history in the fight against sexual violence
- Trial of Sudanese activists charged with ‘indecent behaviour’ postponed
- Kyrgyzstan - The Kidnapped Bride
- URGENT ACTION: Sudan: Two Sudanese Activists At Risk Of Flogging
- For immediate release: Statement on the arrest of Wajeha Al-Huwaider and Fawzia Al-Oyouni and the persecution of human rights activists in Saudi Arabia
- Kenya: Protect girls by enforcing FGM and child marriage laws
- Who Cares About Stoning? Online Photo Campaign
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict
- Masculinity, Son Preference and Intimate Partner Violence (India)
- Prevention of Trafficking in Human Beings Online
- Female Genital Mutliation/Cutting: A Statistical Overview and an Exploration of the Dynamics of Change
- Stolen Lives, Empty Classrooms: An Overview on Girl Marriages in Iran