France/Iran: Solidarity demonstration for Sakineh Mohammadi Ashanti
I am pleased to inform you that the protest held in Paris for Sakineh Mohammadi Ashanti on Saturday August, 2010 was a real success. Hundreds of protesters attended the protest at Place du Trocadero, in order to express their full support for Sakineh and their anger against the barbaric practice of stoning. This included various media, organizations, deputies, writers, artists and philosophers.
Yamina Benguigui Director and Deputy Mayor of Paris demonstrated her support by stating: "We will never abandon you, as a Muslim and in this holy month of Ramadan, I strongly condemn the extremists who demean women."
Daniel Salvatore Schiffer, author of "End executions by stoning!" highlighted that the protest was not only in the name of Sakineh, but in the name of all Iranian women whose dignity has been violated and whose lives have been and continue to be threatened in the name of honour.
Lillian Kandel reminded the audience of the "One Million Signatures" petition campaign, which has so far received 50,000 signatures including those of French intellectuals.
Sisters in Solidarity member, Anna Pak, declared Sakineh as a symbol and outlined the expectations of the Iranian people who expect nothing from policies but rather expect and rely on support from civil societies and the media.
By Samia Allalou
Submitted on Thu, 09/02/2010 - 11:11
- 'Islamic' Chair Cover Gets Iranian Activist In Trouble
- Iraq: Women Suffer Under ISIS: For Sunnis, Lives Curtailed; for Yezidis, New Accounts of Brutal Rapes
- The case of Saba Qaiser and the film-maker determined to put an end to 'honour' killings
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences