France/Iran: Solidarity demonstration for Sakineh Mohammadi Ashanti
I am pleased to inform you that the protest held in Paris for Sakineh Mohammadi Ashanti on Saturday August, 2010 was a real success. Hundreds of protesters attended the protest at Place du Trocadero, in order to express their full support for Sakineh and their anger against the barbaric practice of stoning. This included various media, organizations, deputies, writers, artists and philosophers.
Yamina Benguigui Director and Deputy Mayor of Paris demonstrated her support by stating: "We will never abandon you, as a Muslim and in this holy month of Ramadan, I strongly condemn the extremists who demean women."
Daniel Salvatore Schiffer, author of "End executions by stoning!" highlighted that the protest was not only in the name of Sakineh, but in the name of all Iranian women whose dignity has been violated and whose lives have been and continue to be threatened in the name of honour.
Lillian Kandel reminded the audience of the "One Million Signatures" petition campaign, which has so far received 50,000 signatures including those of French intellectuals.
Sisters in Solidarity member, Anna Pak, declared Sakineh as a symbol and outlined the expectations of the Iranian people who expect nothing from policies but rather expect and rely on support from civil societies and the media.
By Samia Allalou
Submitted on Thu, 09/02/2010 - 11:11
- Afghanistan: Reject stoning, flogging, amputation and other Taliban-era punishments
- Public stoning consideration is latest setback for Afghan women's rights
- "160 Girls": Making legal history in the fight against sexual violence
- Trial of Sudanese activists charged with ‘indecent behaviour’ postponed
- Kyrgyzstan - The Kidnapped Bride
- URGENT ACTION: Sudan: Two Sudanese Activists At Risk Of Flogging
- Kenya: Protect girls by enforcing FGM and child marriage laws
- Who Cares About Stoning? Online Photo Campaign
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Sudan: 32 Nuba Women Behind Bars in the Women’s International Day!
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict
- Masculinity, Son Preference and Intimate Partner Violence (India)
- Prevention of Trafficking in Human Beings Online
- Female Genital Mutliation/Cutting: A Statistical Overview and an Exploration of the Dynamics of Change
- Stolen Lives, Empty Classrooms: An Overview on Girl Marriages in Iran