Afghanistan: Dr Sima Samar named Deputy Premier in the newly named interim government
Delegates from four Afghan factions have signed an agreement on a transitional government to run the country after 20 years of war.
The BBC reports that two women are among those named. "One of them, Sima Samar, will be one of Mr Karzai's five vice chairs. The UN has said the new authority must guarantee freedom of expression and women's rights."
Submitted on Thu, 12/06/2001 - 00:00
- Indonesia: PRESS RELEASE: Women Leaders National Jamboree--230 Women Leaders Building the New Indonesian Economy and Peace
- Meet Leyla Yunus, Azerbaijan
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- Update: Activists Yara Sallam, Sanaa Seif released from prison
- Keeping Activist Bahareh Hedayat in Prison is Against the Law Says Legal Expert
- Statement in Condemnation of Terrorist Attack Targeting Media Organizations in Afghanistan
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION - WOMEN RISK FLOGGING FOR ‘INDECENT’ CLOTHING
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt