UN: Special Rapporteur Violence Against Women to Visit Algeria
GENEVA – The United Nations Special Rapporteur on Violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo, will conduct an official visit to Algeria from 1 to 10 November 2010 at the invitation of the Government. “During my visit, I intend to meet with national stakeholders involved in fighting all aspects related to violence against women, with a view to appreciate the phenomenon in Algeria. I will also seize the opportunity of this mission to review progress made since the visit of my predecessor in 2007”, said the human rights expert, who will travel to Alger, Constantine, Oran and Hassi-Messaoud.
The Special Rapporteur will hold discussions with government authorities, civil society organizations, representatives of United Nations agencies and other international organizations based in Algeria, as well as individual victims of gender-based violence.
A press conference on the initial findings of the visit will be held in Alger on Wednesday 10 November. Further details on the time and venue of the press conference will be provided by the UN Office in Algiers.
Based on the information obtained during the visit, Ms. Manjoo will present a report with her final findings and recommendations to a forthcoming session of the Human Rights Council.
29 October 2010
- Board member Karima Bennoune Appointed Special Rapporteur in the Field of Cultural Rights by the United Nations Human Rights Council
- UN should recognise Shingal massacres as genocide & feminicide
- UN report says Eritrea committed widespread abuses
- South Sudan: UNICEF warns women and children being victimized ‘with frightening regularity’
- Human rights: Paraguay has failed to protect a 10-year old girl child who became pregnant after being raped, say UN experts
- Raise Your Voice Against the 'Protection of the Family' Resolution
- Equality, Development and Peace: 2015 and Beyond
- Call for Action: Include women in the Syrian peace-building process now!
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Special Rapporteur on violence against women, mission statement for Sudan
- Religion, Culture And Tradition: No Excuse For Violence
- How to follow up on UN Human Rights Recommendations: A practical guide for civil society
- Islam, Land, and Property: Muslim Women and Property
- Egypt: Combined sixth and seventh periodic reports to CEDAW