Israel: Yael Dayan blasts occupation and the status of women
Source:Jewish Bulletin News
As the speaker who opened the "Women Who Shook the Jewish World" series, Knesset member Yael Dayan was invited to discuss the status of women in Israel.
And that she did. But not without spending at least half her talk railing against the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. The Jewish Bulletin of Northern California reports, 'Just a few hours after hearing that a Palestinian gunman had killed six at a bat mitzvah in Hadera on Jan. 17, Dayan stood before an audience of several hundred at the Marin Jewish Community Center in San Rafael and condemned such acts of terrorism. But at the same time, she called it the price Israel is paying for prolonged rule over the Palestinian people.'
Submitted on Thu, 02/14/2002 - 00:00
- Indonesia: The Other Face of the Helsinki Peace Process, Aceh 10 Years Later
- A Bad Year for Yara Sallam in Egypt's Republic of Fear
- Surge in sexual abuse by Egypt authorities, report says
- Nigeria: Abducted women and girls forced to join Boko Haram attacks
- Missing female Sudanese rights activist found beaten in street
- Sudan: Stop Planting Mines in the Nuba Mountains!
- UPDATE: Madagascar: New president suspends parliament
- UPDATE: Myanmar: Joint NGO statement supporting Human Rights Defenders in Burma
- UPDATE: Turkey: Muyeser Gunes and members of Mothers for Peace are free
- Turkey: Demand the release of members of the Peace Caravan
- Leaflet: Women In Black Denounce UK Complicity in Atrocities in Sudan
- Unspeakable Crimes Against Children: Sexual Violence in Conflict
- Women Building Peace
- No Democracy without Women's Equality: Middle East and North Africa
- Dossier 28: An Islamic experience of religious pluralism in post-apartheid South Africa