USA: Polygamy related abuses in Utah
Source:Child Protection Project in Colorado and the International Human Rights Clinic at the New York University School of Law
A Call for Action from the Child Protection Project in Colorado and the International Human Rights Clinic at the New York University School of Law asking us to urge the U.S authorities to take action against polygamous marriages.
Polygamous marriages are practiced on a large scale especially in the State of Utah, but in neighbouring U.S. states as well. WLUML joins their efforts and requests your urgent intervention in this case.The February 8-24 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City will focus international attention on the State of Utah and on the U.S. itself. This is an important opportunity to bring to light these human rights violations against women and children and the failure of government to prevent and respond to the abuses adequately.
Submitted on Fri, 02/15/2002 - 01:00
- Afghan clerics uneasy as civil rights movement gains momentum
- Aceh Prepares to Enforce Broader Sharia Criminal Code, With Stiffer Penalties
- “Good Iranian Women Don’t Watch Sports”
- Karima Bennoune Featured in TEDxExeter 2015 – Taking the Long View
- 'There's no life without music': the Malian musicians fighting Islamists with songs – video
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) condemns the harassment of Sri Lankan activist Sharmila Seyyid
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Position Statement on Apostasy and Blasphemy
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Dossier 30-31: The Struggle for Secularism in Europe and North America
- Towards a Future without Fundamentalisms
- Feminists on the Frontline: AWID Case Studies of Resisting Fundamentalisms