USA: Polygamy related abuses in Utah
Source:Child Protection Project in Colorado and the International Human Rights Clinic at the New York University School of Law
A Call for Action from the Child Protection Project in Colorado and the International Human Rights Clinic at the New York University School of Law asking us to urge the U.S authorities to take action against polygamous marriages.
Polygamous marriages are practiced on a large scale especially in the State of Utah, but in neighbouring U.S. states as well. WLUML joins their efforts and requests your urgent intervention in this case.The February 8-24 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City will focus international attention on the State of Utah and on the U.S. itself. This is an important opportunity to bring to light these human rights violations against women and children and the failure of government to prevent and respond to the abuses adequately.
Submitted on Fri, 02/15/2002 - 01:00
- USA: CWGL’s Founding Director and Senior Scholar, Charlotte Bunch, honored through the creation of a Human Rights Defenders Award
- Saudi Arabia: "There is not one law in Saudi Arabia that regards violence toward women as an illegal activity": what's really behind Saudi's domestic abuse problem?
- Malaysia: Outrage After Sharia Court Allows Rapist to Marry His 13-year-old Victim
- Iran: Iran’s ban on female presidential candidates contradicts Constitution
- Pakistan: Leading Pakistan politician Zahra Shahid Hussain killed outside home
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- UPDATE: Saudi Arabia: Al Sharif released, 17 June Women2Drive campaign continues
- Pakistan: Ensure safety of Asia Bibi and her family and repeal Pakistan’s Blasphemy Laws
- UPDATE: Iran: Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani case: another test of Iran's flawed justice system