UK: Honour crime - life imprisonment for father
A man who murdered his 24 year old daughter after discovering her 'secret' boyfriend has been jailed for life.
Faqir Mohammed, 69, flew into a rage when he came home from evening prayer in June last year to find his daughter, Shahida Perveen Mohammed, with a boyfriend in her bedroom. Manchester Crown Court heard Mohammed stabbed Shahida 19 times in the head and stomach. Sentencing him, Mr Justice Field described it as a "dreadful crime" and only a sentence of life imprisonment was appropriate.
Submitted on Tue, 02/19/2002 - 01:00
- Turkey struggles with femicide as domestic violence mounts
- New President, Old Pattern of Sexual Violence in Egypt
- Child marriage remains common, despite legal ban
- Women and Conflict in Indonesia
- JOGINI/DEVADASI TEMPLE "SLAVE" GIRLS & WOMEN - LOWER CASTE - SEXUAL EXPLOITATION - ILLEGAL BUT NOT ENFORCED
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR