UK: Honour crime - life imprisonment for father
A man who murdered his 24 year old daughter after discovering her 'secret' boyfriend has been jailed for life.
Faqir Mohammed, 69, flew into a rage when he came home from evening prayer in June last year to find his daughter, Shahida Perveen Mohammed, with a boyfriend in her bedroom. Manchester Crown Court heard Mohammed stabbed Shahida 19 times in the head and stomach. Sentencing him, Mr Justice Field described it as a "dreadful crime" and only a sentence of life imprisonment was appropriate.
Submitted on Tue, 02/19/2002 - 00:00
- 'Islamic' Chair Cover Gets Iranian Activist In Trouble
- Iraq: Women Suffer Under ISIS: For Sunnis, Lives Curtailed; for Yezidis, New Accounts of Brutal Rapes
- The case of Saba Qaiser and the film-maker determined to put an end to 'honour' killings
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences