UK: Honour crime - life imprisonment for father
A man who murdered his 24 year old daughter after discovering her 'secret' boyfriend has been jailed for life.
Faqir Mohammed, 69, flew into a rage when he came home from evening prayer in June last year to find his daughter, Shahida Perveen Mohammed, with a boyfriend in her bedroom. Manchester Crown Court heard Mohammed stabbed Shahida 19 times in the head and stomach. Sentencing him, Mr Justice Field described it as a "dreadful crime" and only a sentence of life imprisonment was appropriate.
Submitted on Tue, 02/19/2002 - 01:00
- EVENT: International Conference: Religious-Right, Secularism and Civil Rights
- Syrian conflict: Untold misery of child brides
- Cameroon - Speaking Up Against Rape Is Just One Part of the Solution
- Turkey struggles with femicide as domestic violence mounts
- New President, Old Pattern of Sexual Violence in Egypt
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Too Young to Wed
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating