India: Harassment of women engaged in prostitution in Karnataka
Protest against the threats and intimidation unleashed on women activists of SANGRAM and VAMP (Veshya AIDS Mukabla Parishad).
Since its inception in 1992 SANGRAM has successfully mobilized communities in Maharashtra and the border areas of north Karnataka around the issue of sexually transmitted diseases (including HIV/AIDS) through peer education and condom distribution. In 1996 the peer education programme broadened into VAMP, an independent collective of women in prostitution.
Submitted on Mon, 02/25/2002 - 01:00
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR
- Child, Early and Forced Marriage: A Multi-Country Study.
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict