Uganda: Anti-Homosexuality Bill is Anti-Human Rights and Anti-Democratic: ACT NOW TO STOP IT!
The Global Campaign to Stop VAW in the name of "Culture" (VNC Campaign) extends our unequivocal solidarity with the Ugandan lesbians, gays and other progressive citizens that continue to fight against the Anti-Homosexuality Bill in Uganda. The Bill is explicitly anti-human rights and anti-democratic and contravenes the African Charter on Human and People's Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), and other international human rights treaties to which Uganda is a party. National dialogue and understanding of homosexuality in Uganda is widely known to being strongly influenced by American Evangelical Christians, some of whom visited the country and took part in an anti-homosexuality conference that immediately preceded the filing of the anti-homosexuality bill in the parliament in 2009. David Kato, the LGBT rights activist whose extra-judicial killing caused worldwide public outcry was one of the main advocates campaigning against the bill, and received numerous death threats for his activism.
For more information, please refer to the statement by the CIVIL SOCIETY COALITION ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND CONSTITUTIONAL LAW - UGANDA ON THE ANTI-HOMOSEXUALITY BILL 2009. This was submitted to the Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Committee of Uganda's parliament on 9th May 2011
What you can do
Ugandan activists believe that the President, Yoweri Museveni can be sensitive to international pressure. Last year, a massive response from people around the world pushed him to stop the bill in its tracks.
Please sign this petition by the Uganda's Civil Society Coalition on Human Rights and Constitutional Law. http://ugandans4rights.org/petition.php. The Coalition was established in October 2009 in response to the tabling of a now notorious Anti-Homosexuality Bill in the Ugandan Parliament. The petition calls for the government of Uganda to not pass the Anti-Homosexuality Bill into law.
10 May 2011
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- 8th CSBR Sexuality Institute - Call for Applications!
- ‘It’s a Good Thing’: Military Chief on Virginity Testing of Female Recruits
- Indonesia's highest Islamic clerical body issues fatwa proposing death penalty for people caught having gay sex
- Indonesia lawmakers drop plan for schoolgirl virginity tests after uproar
- WLUML Stands With Nigerian LGBT People, And All Persecuted For Their Sexuality Worldwide
- UPDATE: Pakistan: Shamial and Shahzina released and together
- UPDATE: Pakistan: Teenage girl abducted, raped and disrobed
- UPDATE: Pakistan: Transgender couple released on bail
- UPDATE: Pakistan: Transgender couple sentenced to three year imprisonment; need your letters of support