UK: Fundamentalist Christians who do not believe in evolution have taken control of a state-funded secondary school
Creationist teachers at the city technology college in Gateshead are undermining the scientific teaching of biology in favour of persuading pupils of the literal truth of the Bible.
The Guardian newspaper reports that the school has hosted a creationist conference and senior staff have given a series of lectures at the college urging teachers to promote biblical fundamentalism and giving tips on techniques to make pupils doubt the theory of evolution.
Submitted on Thu, 03/14/2002 - 01:00
- Mynamar: Kristallnacht in Myanmar
- Afghanistan: $2,500: The Value of a 6 year-old Afghan Girl.
- International: The Ethics of Alliance and Solidarity: An Exchange Between Rafia Zakaria and Meredith Tax
- Pakistan: Statement issued by the Women Action Forum (WAF), Karachi, following the attack on Shia residents of Abbas Colony
- Afghanistan: Afghan Women’s Affairs Aide Shot Months After Killing of Predecessor.
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- UPDATE: Saudi Arabia: Al Sharif released, 17 June Women2Drive campaign continues
- Saudi Arabia: Call for release of activist challenging ban on women drivers
- Pakistan: Ensure safety of Asia Bibi and her family and repeal Pakistan’s Blasphemy Laws
- Dossier 30-31: The Struggle for Secularism in Europe and North America
- Walking a Tightrope: Women and Veiling in the United Kingdom
- Towards a Future without Fundamentalisms
- Feminists on the Frontline: AWID Case Studies of Resisting Fundamentalisms
- FES publication on Religious Fundamentalisms in Asia