Worldwide: Islamic Feminism - what's in a name?
Source:Al-Ahram Weekly Online
Islamic feminism is on the whole more radical than Muslims' secular feminisms, argues Margot Badran.
What's in a name? What's behind a name? What is Islamic feminism? Let me offer a concise definition: it is a feminist discourse and practice articulated within an Islamic paradigm. Islamic feminism, which derives its understanding and mandate from the Qur'an, seeks rights and justice for women, and for men, in the totality of their existence. Islamic feminism is both highly contested and firmly embraced. There has been much misunderstanding, misrepresentation, and mischief concerning Islamic feminism. This new feminism has given rise simultaneously to hopes and to fears. We shall look at who is producing it, where, why and to what end.
Submitted on Tue, 03/19/2002 - 01:00
- Afghan President Nominates First Female Judge to Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabia – Women Traveling Alone without Permission of Guardians, Under Study
- War with Isis: Meet the Kurdish women's militia fighting for their families west of the Syrian town of Ras al-Ayn
- Forbidden from riding bikes, fearless Afghan girls are skateboarding around Kabul
- Swat Woman Of Courage Gets Sisters' Council To Speak Up
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- THE DUE DILIGENCE PRINCIPLE AND THE ROLE OF THE STATE: DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN IN FAMILY AND CULTURAL LIFE
- Compilation Of Inputs From Women’s Rights Advocates On The Occasion Of The 59th Commission On The Status Of Women
- WLUML Gazette, 15th Edition - January 2015
- WLUML Gazette, 14th Edition at the end of 2014