Worldwide: Islamic Feminism - what's in a name?
Source:Al-Ahram Weekly Online
Islamic feminism is on the whole more radical than Muslims' secular feminisms, argues Margot Badran.
What's in a name? What's behind a name? What is Islamic feminism? Let me offer a concise definition: it is a feminist discourse and practice articulated within an Islamic paradigm. Islamic feminism, which derives its understanding and mandate from the Qur'an, seeks rights and justice for women, and for men, in the totality of their existence. Islamic feminism is both highly contested and firmly embraced. There has been much misunderstanding, misrepresentation, and mischief concerning Islamic feminism. This new feminism has given rise simultaneously to hopes and to fears. We shall look at who is producing it, where, why and to what end.
Submitted on Tue, 03/19/2002 - 01:00
- WLUML Launches Bumper-Size Dossier on Sexualities in Muslim Contexts
- Striving for Gender Justice: Overcoming Obstacles
- Laughter and Learning in the Sun: Feminist Leadership Workshops in West Africa
- Hirsi Ali: Telling a Critic From an Islamophobe
- Syria & Bosnia Women Confer on Importance of Women-Driven Peace
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Unspeakable Crimes Against Children: Sexual Violence in Conflict
- SOCIAL MEDIA COMBINED WITH OTHER MEDIA CAN BE EFFECTIVE FOR CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT & PARTICIPATION IN GOVERNANCE ISSUES - WOMEN
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Austerity Measures in Developing Countries: Public Expenditure Trends and the Risks to Women and Children