France: Attacks on Jewish sites
Over the weekend, the doors of a synagogue in Strasbourg were destroyed in a fire, a synagogue in Marseille was burnt to the ground and in Lyon another was rammed by two cars and subsequently set alight.
The BBC reports that French officials believe that the escalating conflict in the Middle East has stirred hostility towards the country's 700,000-strong Jewish community, which has demanded that the authorities start providing better protection for themselves and their property.
Submitted on Tue, 04/02/2002 - 00:00
- Mynamar: Kristallnacht in Myanmar
- Afghanistan: $2,500: The Value of a 6 year-old Afghan Girl.
- International: The Ethics of Alliance and Solidarity: An Exchange Between Rafia Zakaria and Meredith Tax
- Pakistan: Statement issued by the Women Action Forum (WAF), Karachi, following the attack on Shia residents of Abbas Colony
- Afghanistan: Afghan Women’s Affairs Aide Shot Months After Killing of Predecessor.
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- UPDATE: Saudi Arabia: Al Sharif released, 17 June Women2Drive campaign continues
- Saudi Arabia: Call for release of activist challenging ban on women drivers
- UK: Appeal for Expressions of Solidarity with Dr Usama Hasan
- Pakistan: Ensure safety of Asia Bibi and her family and repeal Pakistan’s Blasphemy Laws