UPDATE: Iran: Women’s sports photographer, Maryam Majd, released on bail
Maryam Majd, a women’s sports photographer, arrested on her way to film the Women’s Soccer World Cup in Germany, has been released on bail, of 100,000 US Dollars, because of poor health. Maryam Majd disappeared on her way from Tehran, Iran, to Dusseldorf in Germany on the 17th of June 2011. She was held in Tehran's notorious Evin prison, in ward 2A, controlled by the Revolutionary Guards. Ms Majd was expected in Germany for two months during the Women's Soccer World Cup 2011, in order to produce a photographic record of the different soccer teams.
Actresses Marzieh Vafamehr and Pegah Ahangarani were arrested within the past two weeks on unspecified charges. Documentary filmmaker Mahnaz Mohammadi, also a women's rights activist, was arrested in June by Iranian security forces. Pegah Ahangarani, 27, was scheduled to go to Germany to participate in TV programmes about the Fifa tournament, but was picked up from her home in the capital by security officials on Sunday 10 July. See the Guardian newspaper for further information.
- Algeria: voices for democratic transition cannot be silenced
- Universal Periodic Review: JFI Submission on Human Rights Abuses Based on Sex, Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
- Sultan of Brunei threatens his citizens following online criticism of Sharia law plan
- Bahrain: Continued Use Of Politicized Judiciary By The Authority To Keep Activist Zainab Al-Khawaja Behind Bars
- Islamic Republic football officials and gender-based discrimination against female athletes
- A Former Child Bride is Hanged and Denied Her Last Wish to See Her Daughter
- To the British Government: Work with Dubai's government to free Afsana!
- URGENT ACTION: Iran: A former child bride faces execution by hanging
- Call for Action: Include women in the Syrian peace-building process now!
- For immediate release: Statement on the arrest of Wajeha Al-Huwaider and Fawzia Al-Oyouni and the persecution of human rights activists in Saudi Arabia
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran
- Discrimination Against Women in Bahraini Society and Legislation
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Early and Forced Marriage in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Women's Rights and Transitions to Democracy: An Annotated Bibliography