Pakistan: Shehrbano Taseer on Combating Blasphemy Laws
This week’s FirstCast features Shehrbano Taseer, the daughter of Salmaan Taseer who was assassinated for publicly condemning the misuse of blasphemy laws in Pakistan. She is continuing her father’s work and has become an international voice for the victims of extremism and religious intolerance. Shehrbano has been speaking out against the forces that killed her father and against laws that persecute in the name of religion. Follow the link to listen to the podcast.
The United Nations has passed the defamation of religions resolution, essentially a global blasphemy code, every year to protect religions and ideas rather than individuals. Human Rights First has partnered up with Shehrbano to combat this resolution and we are gearing up to talk to U.N. member countries at the General Assembly this October.
By Daniel Littlewood
for Fighting Discrimination Program
- A Pakistani born Canadian Victim's Appeal for Help!
- Pakistan: Killing of NGO worker Farida Afridi in Jamrud Tehsil of Khyber Agency
- Update: Intisar Sharif Abdallah Released Unconditionally without Further Charge
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable