Iran: WHRD Coalition Calls for the Immediate Release of Maryam Bahreman
The Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition is deeply concerned by the ongoing detention of an Iranian women's rights activist, despite a legal order for her release. Maryam Bahreman, a member of Iran's One Million Signatures Campaign, was arrested on 11 May and held in solitary confinement. After questioning at the Prosecutor's Office on July 5, an order was issued for Ms Bahreman's release on bail. However, the order was not implemented and she remains in Shiraz prison.
Women defenders are more at risk of suffering certain forms of violence and other violations... This is often due to the fact that women defenders are perceived as challenging accepted socio-cultural norms, traditions, perceptions and stereotypes about femininity, sexual orientation, and the role and status of women in society. Their work is often seen as challenging "traditional" notions of the family which can serve to normalize and perpetuate forms of violence and oppression of women. This can, in certain contexts, lead to hostility or lack of support from the general population, as well as the authorities. (December 2010)
For more information on Maryam Bahreman’s case and how to take action, please see Amnesty International:http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/MDE13/068/2011/en/b4568b72-eb26-41bb-8f80-40f5107f5477/mde130682011en.html
- Bangladesh: Government plans to relocate camps cause fear and anxiety among Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
- North Africa: Racism, sexism and violence against sub-Saharan African migrant women
- Iran: Lawyer who won Sakharov human rights award continues her peaceful protests against ban from practicing law.
- Sudan: Police Beat, Arrest Female Students
- Joint Press Release on the Verdict against Sanaa Seif, Yara Sallam and 21 Other Co-accused in Egypt
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Early and Forced Marriage in the Islamic Republic of Iran