Pakistan: Labour Party Pakistan (LPP) members released
Source:Labour Party Pakistan
The arrests were made on 26th April whilst protesting against the proposed referendum.
General Pervaiz Musharraf, the Army chief currently ruling Pakistan, has called for a referendum to be held later this year which could make him President of Pakistan. The move is being challenged as unconstitutional. It is also reminiscent of the 1984 Referendum used by previous martial law ruler General Ziaul Haq to legitimize his assumption of the title of President of Pakistan. A local court in Lahore accepted the bail application and ordered the immediate release of all 15 members.
Submitted on Tue, 04/30/2002 - 00:00
- SUDAN CHRISTIAN WOMAN MERIAM IBRAHIM & FAMILY ARRIVE IN ITALY & MEET WITH POPE FRANCIS
- Striving for Gender Justice: Overcoming Obstacles
- Letter to Obama Administration on Egyptian State Violations of Human Rights
- EIPR shocked by continued detention of 23 defendants including an awarded human rights defender
- Press Release on the arrest and detention of Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- KURDISH WOMAN LOSING SIGHT IN IRANIAN PRISON
- URGENT ACTION NEEDED: INNOCENT SUDANESE MOTHER WILL FACE PUBLIC FLOGGING AND EXECUTION, SIHA CONDEMNS TODAY'S RULING IN HAJ YOUSIF COURT IN KHARTOUM