Pakistan: Labour Party Pakistan (LPP) members released
Source:Labour Party Pakistan
The arrests were made on 26th April whilst protesting against the proposed referendum.
General Pervaiz Musharraf, the Army chief currently ruling Pakistan, has called for a referendum to be held later this year which could make him President of Pakistan. The move is being challenged as unconstitutional. It is also reminiscent of the 1984 Referendum used by previous martial law ruler General Ziaul Haq to legitimize his assumption of the title of President of Pakistan. A local court in Lahore accepted the bail application and ordered the immediate release of all 15 members.
Submitted on Mon, 04/29/2002 - 23:00
- Gender-Sensitive Media: A Voluntary Code of Ethics
- Mapping Stoning in Muslim Contexts
- Control and Sexuality: The Revival of Zina Laws in Muslim Contexts
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- WSF: The rise of fundamentalism and the role of the ‘state’ in the specific political context of Palestine