Pakistan: Labour Party Pakistan (LPP) members released
Source:Labour Party Pakistan
The arrests were made on 26th April whilst protesting against the proposed referendum.
General Pervaiz Musharraf, the Army chief currently ruling Pakistan, has called for a referendum to be held later this year which could make him President of Pakistan. The move is being challenged as unconstitutional. It is also reminiscent of the 1984 Referendum used by previous martial law ruler General Ziaul Haq to legitimize his assumption of the title of President of Pakistan. A local court in Lahore accepted the bail application and ordered the immediate release of all 15 members.
Submitted on Mon, 04/29/2002 - 23:00
- Honour killing: Four get death for lynching pregnant woman in Lahore
- Losing Hope in Iran and Egypt
- Sudan: Police Beat, Arrest Female Students
- Joint Press Release on the Verdict against Sanaa Seif, Yara Sallam and 21 Other Co-accused in Egypt
- Update: Bahrain – Trial date scheduled for human rights defender Ms Maryam Al-Khawaja
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- KURDISH WOMAN LOSING SIGHT IN IRANIAN PRISON