Pakistan: Stoning sentence against Zafran Bibi is suspended
A court in Pakistan has suspended the sentence of stoning to death passed against a woman convicted of adultery.
Human-rights groups had strongly criticised the sentence and demanded the immediate release of the convicted woman, Zafran Bibi. The case will now be heard by the highest court on Islamic issues, the federal Sharia court in Islamabad, although no date has yet been given.
Submitted on Tue, 05/07/2002 - 00:00
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- A Pakistani born Canadian Victim's Appeal for Help!
- Pakistan: Killing of NGO worker Farida Afridi in Jamrud Tehsil of Khyber Agency
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- UPDATE: Saudi Arabia: Al Sharif released, 17 June Women2Drive campaign continues